Images reproduced courtesy Australian National Maritime Museum. Additional images are reproduced courtesy of Department of Environment, National Archives of the Netherlands, National Library of Australia and Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam.
- Aristotle, Meteorology, Book II, Part 5.
- J P Sigmond and L H Zuiderbaan, Dutch Discoveries of Australia: Shipwrecks, Treasures and Early Voyages off the West Coast, Batavian Lion, Amsterdam, 1995, p 33.
- Phillip E Playford, ‘Hartog, Dirk (1580–1621)’, Australian Dictionary of Biography.
- Sigmond and Zuiderbaan, Dutch Discoveries of Australia, p 36.
- Western Australian Museum, ‘1616: Dirk Hartog’.
- Peter Sigmond, ‘Cultural Heritage and a Piece of Pewter’, in, Lindsey Shaw and Wendy Wilkins, eds, Dutch Connections: 400 Years of Australian-Dutch Maritime Links 1606–2006, Australian National Maritime Museum, Sydney, 2006, p 83.