- Frame, Tom, 1993: HMAS Sydney: Loss and Controversy. Sydney: Hodder & Stoughton.
- Hore, Peter (ed.), 2001: HMAS Sydney II: The Cruiser and the Controversy in the Archives of the United Kingdom. Canberra: RAN Sea Power Centre/Defence Publishing Service.
- Hore, Peter, 2009: Sydney, Cipher and Search: Solving the Last Great Naval Mystery of the Second World War. Suffolk: Seafarer Books.
- McCarthy, Michael (ed.), 2010: HMAS Sydney (II). Welshpool: Western Australian Museum.
- McCarthy, Michael (ed.), 2016: From Great Depths: The Wrecks of HMAS Sydney II and HSK Kormoran. Crawley: University of Western Australia Press.
- McDonald, Glenys, 2005: Seeking the Sydney: A Quest for Truth. Crawley: University of Western Australia Press.
- McDonald, Glenys, 2016: Finding HMAS Sydney: A Memoir. Carlisle (WA): Hesperian Press.
- Mearns, David, 2009: The Search for the Sydney: How Australia’s Greatest Maritime Mystery Was Solved. Sydney: Harper Collins.
- Olson, Wesley, 2000: Bitter Victory: The Death of HMAS Sydney. Nedlands: University of Western Australia Press.
- Olson, Wes, 2016: H.M.A.S. Sydney (II) in Peace and War. Hilton (WA): Wesley John Olson.
- Winter, Barbara, 1984: HMAS Sydney: Fact, Fantasy and Fraud. Brisbane: Boolarong Press.
I would like to extend a heartfelt ‘Thank You’ to author Wes Olson and WA Museum staff Tim Eastwood, Mack McCarthy and Ross Anderson for their expert review of my text, and to the WA Museum and Curtin University for graciously sharing still imagery and video from the 2015 Sydney–Kormoran expedition that is featured in this article.